Buy Double Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot
The Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot, also known as the Yellow-headed Amazon or Yellow-headed Parrot, is a species of parrot native to Central America.
Here’s some information about the Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot:
Scientific Name: Amazona oratrix
Size: The Double Yellow-headed Amazon is a medium-sized parrot, typically measuring around 35 to 38 centimeters (14 to 15 inches) in length.
Appearance: As the name suggests, the Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot has a striking appearance with a bright yellow head and neck. The feathers on the lower part of the neck and breast are yellow, transitioning to green on the back and wings. They have a red patch on their shoulders and blue primary flight feathers. The beak is grayish-black, and the eyes are orange.
Range and Habitat: The Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot is native to the Pacific slopes of Mexico and Central America, including parts of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. They inhabit various forested habitats, including deciduous forests, tropical rainforests, and mangrove swamps.
Behavior: Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot are known for their intelligence, social nature, and excellent vocal abilities. They are highly social birds that often form large flocks, especially during the non-breeding season. They have a wide range of vocalizations, including loud calls, whistles, and the ability to mimic human speech.
Diet: In the wild, Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot feed on a varied diet consisting of fruits, seeds, nuts, berries, flowers, and occasionally, insect larvae. Captive birds should be provided with a balanced diet that includes high-quality commercial parrot pellets, fresh fruits, vegetables, and occasional nuts or seeds as treats.
Conservation Status: The Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot is listed as “Endangered” on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. They are threatened due to habitat loss, capture for the illegal pet trade, and hunting.
Breeding: Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot typically breed in tree cavities, where the female lays a clutch of 2 to 4 eggs. Both parents participate in incubating the eggs and raising the chicks. The incubation period lasts around 26 to 28 days, and the chicks fledge and become independent after about 2 to 3 months.
Pet Trade: Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot are popular as pets due to their striking appearance, intelligence, and ability to mimic human speech. However, potential owners should carefully consider the long lifespan and specific care requirements of these parrots. It’s important to ensure that any pet birds are obtained through legal and responsible means.
As with any parrot species, providing a suitable environment, proper nutrition, regular veterinary care, social interaction, mental stimulation, and training are crucial for the well-being of Double Yellow-headed Amazons kept as pets.
Caring for a Double Yellow-headed Amazon as a pet requires attention to their physical and psychological well-being.
Here Are Some Specific Care Requirements For Double Yellow Headed Amazon:
1. Cage and Environment: Provide a large, sturdy cage that allows the bird to move around comfortably. The cage should be spacious enough to accommodate the bird’s wingspan and include perches of various sizes and textures. Ensure that the bar spacing is appropriate to prevent escape or injury. Include toys, puzzles, and interactive items to provide mental stimulation.
2. Diet: Offer a balanced diet consisting of high-quality commercial parrot pellets as the primary food source. Supplement the diet with fresh fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, and occasional nuts or seeds as treats. Avoid feeding toxic foods like avocado, chocolate, caffeine, and alcohol. Provide fresh water daily and ensure it is easily accessible.
3. Social Interaction: Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot are highly social birds and require regular social interaction. Spend quality time with your pet, engage in play, and provide opportunities for mental stimulation. They enjoy being part of the family and can form strong bonds with their owners.
4. Mental Stimulation: These intelligent parrots need mental stimulation to prevent boredom and behavioral issues. Offer a variety of toys that encourage problem-solving, chewing, and interactive play. Rotate the toys regularly to maintain interest. Training sessions that include commands, tricks, and foraging exercises can provide mental stimulation.
5. Exercise: Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot need regular exercise to maintain their physical health. Allow supervised out-of-cage time in a safe and bird-proofed area where they can stretch their wings, climb, and explore. Providing opportunities for flight or encouraging exercise through climbing, swinging, and playing can help keep them physically active.
6. Veterinary Care: Regular veterinary check-ups are crucial for the health and well-being of your Double Yellow-headed Amazon. Find an avian veterinarian experienced with parrots to perform routine health examinations, beak and nail trims, and address any health concerns or questions you may have. Vaccinations and parasite prevention may also be necessary.
7. Environmental Enrichment: Create an enriching environment by introducing various stimuli. This can include providing natural branches for perching, offering safe chewing materials, and exposing the bird to different sights and sounds. Environmental enrichment helps prevent boredom and encourages natural behaviors.
8. Training and Socialization: Double Yellow headed Amazon Parrot are intelligent and can be trained to learn commands and tricks. Positive reinforcement techniques, such as rewards and praise, are effective for training. Socialize your parrot to different people, experiences, and environments to help them become well-adjusted and comfortable in various situations.
Remember that Double Yellow-headed Amazons are long-lived parrots, often reaching 50 to 60 years of age or more. Owning a pet parrot is a long-term commitment that requires time, patience, and dedication.
Free Standard Shipping with any online purchase of $50 (merchandise subtotal excludes store pick up items; merchandise subtotal is calculated before sales tax, before gift wrap charges, and after any discounts or coupons). Truck delivery and shipping surcharges on over-sized or extremely heavy items will still apply (these charges are indicated on the appropriate product information pages and will be displayed in the shipping subtotal of your order). Orders typically arrive within 3-6 business days. Items shipped directly from the vendor or to Alaska and Hawaii have longer delivery lead times. This offer does not apply to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Business Direct orders.