Buy Orange winged Amazon parrot
The Orange-winged Amazon (Amazona amazonica), also known as the Orange-winged Parrot, is a species of parrot native to tropical regions of South America.
Here are some key characteristics and requirements of owning an Orange winged Amazon parrot:
1. Size and Appearance: Orange winged Amazon Parrots are medium-sized parrots, reaching an average length of about 13-15 inches (33-38 cm). They have a predominantly green plumage with orange feathers on the leading edge of their wings, which gives them their name. They have a short, hooked beak and a relatively large head.
2. Social Nature: Orange winged Amazon Parrot are highly social birds and thrive on interaction and attention from their human caregivers. They enjoy being part of the family and can form strong bonds with their owners. Regular social interaction, playtime, and mental stimulation are essential for their well-being.
3. Housing and Space: Provide a spacious and secure cage or aviary that allows the parrot to move around comfortably. The cage should be large enough to accommodate their size and provide room for them to stretch their wings and exercise. They should also have access to perches of different sizes and materials.
4. Mental Stimulation: Orange winged Amazon Parrot are intelligent birds and require mental stimulation to prevent boredom and associated behavioral issues. Provide a variety of toys, puzzles, and interactive activities to keep their minds engaged. Regularly rotate toys and provide opportunities for foraging to keep them mentally stimulated.
5. Diet: Offer a balanced and nutritious diet to ensure the overall health of your Orange-winged Amazon. A high-quality parrot pellet should form the basis of their diet. Supplement this with fresh fruits, vegetables, and occasional treats. Avoid feeding them foods that are toxic to birds, such as avocado, chocolate, caffeine, and alcohol.
6. Exercise and Out-of-Cage Time: Allow your parrot to exercise outside of the cage daily in a safe and supervised environment. Provide opportunities for flying, climbing, and exploring. This helps keep them physically fit and mentally stimulated. Ensure the area is bird-proofed to prevent accidents or escape.
7. Veterinary Care: Regular avian veterinary check-ups are important to monitor the health of your Orange-winged Amazon. Find an avian veterinarian experienced in treating parrots and schedule routine check-ups to address any potential health issues promptly. Maintain a good hygiene routine to prevent infections.
8. Training and Socialization: Early socialization and positive reinforcement training are important for Orange-winged Amazons to ensure they grow up to be well-adjusted and well-behaved companions. Teach basic commands, encourage desirable behaviors, and provide opportunities for mental and physical exercise.
9. Lifespan: Orange winged Amazon Parrots have a long lifespan and can live for 40-60 years or even longer with proper care. Ensure you are ready for the long-term commitment of caring for a parrot before bringing one into your home.
10. Noise Considerations: Orange winged Amazon Parrots can be noisy, especially during morning and evening hours. Consider your living situation and ensure that you and your neighbors can tolerate their vocalizations.
Preventing feather plucking in an Orange winged Amazon parrot requires addressing both the underlying causes and providing a supportive environment.
1. Identify and address the underlying cause: Feather plucking can have various triggers, including stress, boredom, lack of mental stimulation, inadequate social interaction, or underlying health issues. Consult with an avian veterinarian to rule out any medical conditions and work together to identify and address the potential causes.
2. Provide mental and physical stimulation: Orange winged Amazon Parrots are intelligent birds that require mental and physical stimulation to stay engaged and satisfied. Offer a variety of toys, puzzles, and foraging opportunities to keep their minds active. Rotate toys regularly to maintain their interest. Spend quality time interacting with your parrot through play, training, and social bonding activities.
3. Ensure a well-balanced diet: A nutritious diet is crucial for the overall health of your parrot. Provide a balanced diet consisting of high-quality pellets, fresh fruits, vegetables, and occasional treats. A well-nourished bird is less likely to engage in feather plucking behavior.
4. Create an enriching environment: Offer a stimulating and enriching environment for your parrot. Provide a variety of perches, swings, ladders, and climbing structures. Offer safe, chewable toys made of different materials to satisfy their natural chewing instincts. Consider introducing new toys and rearranging the cage regularly to provide novelty and prevent boredom.
5. Maintain a consistent routine: Orange winged Amazon Parrots thrive on routine and predictability. Establish a consistent daily schedule for feeding, playtime, out-of-cage time, and sleep. Minimize changes in their environment or daily routine as much as possible to reduce stress and anxiety.
6. Ensure social interaction: Orange winged Amazon Parrots are highly social birds that require regular interaction and companionship. Spend dedicated time with your parrot every day, engaging in activities such as talking, playing, training, or simply being in the same room. Avoid leaving your parrot alone for extended periods, as isolation can contribute to stress and feather plucking.
7. Manage stress and environmental factors: Create a calm and stress-free environment for your parrot. Minimize exposure to loud noises, excessive commotion, or stressful situations. Provide a safe and secure living space where your parrot feels comfortable and protected.
8. Seek professional help if needed: If feather plucking persists despite your efforts, consider consulting with an avian veterinarian or a qualified avian behaviorist. They can provide further guidance, conduct a thorough assessment of your parrot’s environment and behavior, and develop a customized plan to address the issue.
Remember, each parrot is unique, and it may take time and patience to identify the underlying cause and find the most effective strategies to prevent feather plucking. Consistency, positive reinforcement, and a supportive environment are key in helping your Orange-winged Amazon lead a happy and healthy feathered life.
Free Standard Shipping with any online purchase of $50 (merchandise subtotal excludes store pick up items; merchandise subtotal is calculated before sales tax, before gift wrap charges, and after any discounts or coupons). Truck delivery and shipping surcharges on over-sized or extremely heavy items will still apply (these charges are indicated on the appropriate product information pages and will be displayed in the shipping subtotal of your order). Orders typically arrive within 3-6 business days. Items shipped directly from the vendor or to Alaska and Hawaii have longer delivery lead times. This offer does not apply to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Business Direct orders.