BUY PANAMA AMAZON PARROT
The Panama Amazon Parrot, also known as the Panamanian Amazon or Yellow-crowned Amazon (Amazona ochrocephala panamensis), is a subspecies of the Yellow-crowned Amazon parrot found in the tropical forests of Panama and parts of northern Colombia.
Here are some key characteristics and information about the Panama Amazon Parrot:
1. Appearance: The Panama Amazon Parrot is a medium-sized parrot, typically measuring about 14 to 15 inches (35 to 38 cm) in length. It has a predominantly green plumage, with a yellow crown on its head, giving it its common name. The feathers on its cheeks and throat are white, and it has a red patch on its shoulders. The beak is black, and the eyes are orange.
2. Vocalizations: Like other Amazon parrots, the Panama Amazon Parrot is known for its vocal abilities. It can produce a variety of loud calls, including squawks, whistles, and screeches. Some individuals can also mimic human speech to some extent.
3. Behavior and Personality: Panama Amazon Parrot are intelligent and social birds. They are known for their curious and playful nature. They enjoy interacting with their human caregivers and can form strong bonds with them. They may also exhibit some independent and stubborn traits characteristic of Amazon parrots.
4. Range and Habitat: The Panama Amazon Parrot Parrot is native to the tropical forests of Panama and can also be found in parts of northern Colombia. It inhabits lowland forests, foothills, and occasionally ventures into open areas near forest edges. They rely on forest habitats for nesting, roosting, and foraging.
5. Diet: In the wild, the Panama Amazon Parrot feeds on a varied diet consisting of fruits, seeds, nuts, berries, and vegetation. In captivity, a balanced diet should include high-quality parrot pellets, fresh fruits, vegetables, and occasional treats. It is important to avoid feeding them foods that are toxic to birds, such as chocolate, caffeine, avocado, and alcohol.
6. Conservation Status: The Panama Amazon Parrot, like other subspecies of Yellow-crowned Amazon parrots, faces threats due to habitat loss, deforestation, and illegal capture for the pet trade. It is listed as “Near Threatened” on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List. Conservation efforts and habitat protection are crucial for their long-term survival.
7. Ownership and Care: If you are considering owning a Panama Amazon Parrot or any parrot species, it’s important to understand the responsibilities and requirements involved. They require a spacious and stimulating environment, a nutritious diet, regular social interaction, mental stimulation, and proper veterinary care. Parrots are long-lived and require a lifelong commitment from their owners.
As with any parrot species, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the specific needs and requirements of the Panama Amazon before considering it as a pet. Ensure that you can provide the necessary care, attention, and a suitable environment to meet their physical and psychological well-being.
There are several toys and activities that can help keep Panama Amazon Parrots mentally stimulated.
Here are some recommendations:
1. Puzzle Toys: Provide puzzle toys that require problem-solving skills. These toys often have hidden compartments or mechanisms that your Panama Amazon needs to figure out in order to access treats or rewards. This stimulates their cognitive abilities and keeps them engaged.
2. Foraging Toys: Offer foraging toys that require your parrot to work to obtain food. These toys can be filled with small treats or pieces of fruits and vegetables. The parrot will have to manipulate the toy to access the food, mimicking their natural foraging behavior in the wild.
3. Chewable Toys: Panama Amazons, like many parrots, enjoy chewing. Provide a variety of safe and chewable toys made of different materials such as wood, natural fibers, or bird-safe plastics. Chewing not only helps keep their beaks exercised but also provides mental stimulation.
4. Interactive Toys: Choose interactive toys that allow you to engage with your Panama Amazon. Toys that can be played with together, such as puzzle games or toys on a string, promote social interaction and bonding while keeping them mentally stimulated.
5. Rotation and Novelty: Regularly rotate toys in your parrot’s environment to provide novelty and prevent boredom. Introduce new toys every now and then to keep their interest and curiosity high. This prevents them from becoming bored with their surroundings and toys.
6. Training and Enrichment Sessions: Engage in regular training sessions with your Panama Amazon. Teaching them new tricks or commands not only provides mental stimulation but also strengthens the bond between you and your parrot. Use positive reinforcement techniques and reward them with treats or praise.
7. Out-of-Cage Time: Allow your Panama Amazon supervised out-of-cage time in a safe and bird-proofed area. This provides them with opportunities for exploration, flight, and mental stimulation. Offer perches, climbing structures, and interactive toys outside the cage to keep them engaged and entertained.
Remember, it’s important to observe your Panama Amazon’s preferences and interests when selecting toys and activities. Not all parrots have the same preferences, so try different types of toys and activities to find what engages and stimulates your specific bird. Regularly assess and rotate their toys to maintain their interest and continually provide new challenges to keep their minds active and enriched.
Free Standard Shipping with any online purchase of $50 (merchandise subtotal excludes store pick up items; merchandise subtotal is calculated before sales tax, before gift wrap charges, and after any discounts or coupons). Truck delivery and shipping surcharges on over-sized or extremely heavy items will still apply (these charges are indicated on the appropriate product information pages and will be displayed in the shipping subtotal of your order). Orders typically arrive within 3-6 business days. Items shipped directly from the vendor or to Alaska and Hawaii have longer delivery lead times. This offer does not apply to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Business Direct orders.